Kentucky Fried Chicken Forum Index Kentucky Fried Chicken

The Colonel's Kitchen!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colonel Sanders' O.R - OK folks, get it while it's hot...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kentucky Fried Chicken Forum Index -> OPERATION '11 HERBS & SPICES' - Breaking the O.R. Code...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Ads

Lumpy
Tasted the O.R in 1960!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Colonel Sanders' O.R - OK folks, get it while it's hot... Reply with quote

I'll probably get dumped on for doing this because it's TC's recipe and he should get to announce it first, but I gave my word to all you good folks, so TC34d (The O.R.) follows. The only thing I changed was reducing the salt to 2 1/2 tsp.

If the image is too big, you can resize it in your browser.

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

L

Last edited by Lumpy on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
letsparty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sincere Thanks to Lumpy & TC (Alphabetical Order) for all your hard work, and everybody else's, thats made this day possible.
Smile
JM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumpy ,You are a man of his word!

I hope to recognize the memories of the good old kentucky fried chicken Smile I almost feel the taste in my mouth . Very Happy

TC, if you are right..... Wink

JM

Vanzant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumpy are you pulling are leg ?
Brodie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: respect Reply with quote

out of respect for tc and lumpy, i will trial vanilla beans once again. my question remains the same however. where is the proof?
Vanzant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: respect Reply with quote

Brodie wrote:
out of respect for tc and lumpy, i will trial vanilla beans once again. my question remains the same however. where is the proof?

"Same goes for this old boy"

But TC I dont understand the MSG/Salt very interesting my friend ...
Brodie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: vanilla Reply with quote

why cant i taste vanilla in my 99X? Shocked
JM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I am somewhat surprised at the recipe and its ingredients, but...if I would not, I guess I should have find since a long time. Laughing

Vanzant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM wrote:
I must admit I am somewhat surprised at the recipe and its ingredients, but...if I would not, I guess I should have find since a long time. Laughing

Very true JM .....
stan41

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lumpy!

2 questions though:
What kind of milk?
What kind of shortening?

Stan
The Colonel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I just got home from work guys, to find that some cheeky bugga has released Colonel Sanders' O.R! And without all the fireworks I had planned! Shocked

Tis alright Lumpy, I'll forgive you... eventually. Just ask Brodie Wink

I notice though, that there are already crucial elements that folks are missing, or haven't grasped yet.

First off, regarding the specific varieties of each ingredient:

The CRUCIAL ones are ANCHO Chile Pepper (It's full, rich, almost fruity aroma, with hints of tobacco and "licorice" are extremely important to the O.R of Colonel Sanders - By that, I mean the O.R that Lumpy grew up with pre 1964)... and TAHITIAN Vanilla Beans.

Also, the problem with Lily Marlene's recipe was that he/she chose the wrong variety of Vanilla. There are TWO main species of vanilla: The Bourbon variety (i.e. Planifolia) - which is the most common and well known variety giving off the classic vanilla taste most of us are use too (think vanilla icecream), AND the Tahitian variety (i.e. Tahitensis), which has a somewhat different aroma, smelling slightly "fruity", with hints of fennel and anise.

This second variety of vanilla bean is favored by Pastry Chefs and Gourmet Cooks the world over (apparently), as it also acts as an incredible "melder" and binder for other ingredients in any given recipe.

Also, once cooked up the chicken does NOT taste like vanilla... on the contrary, it rounds off the "O.R note" many of the old timers have referred too, over the years. It is TAHITIAN vanilla which gives even todays KFC that rich "edge" - which one can taste as the "signature" of KFC - but which can not be recognised. (Although notably, today's KFC utilises a SYNTHETIC variety of this awesome spice.)

To summarise:

Ancho Chile Pepper, Tahitian Vanilla Beans (and ideally, Tellicherry Black Pepper) are CRUCIAL to achieving the O.R of Colonel Sanders. Without them, you will NOT be trialing this recipe, but your own, unrelated, concoction Wink

Note: It is the combination of BOTH Ancho Chiles and Tahitian Vanilla which give off the full, rich, flavor (coupled with a slight "fennel" note), so many recall from the O.R of old. This is also why Lumpy was so impressed with Bruce's latest excellent recipe (A recipe which forced me to seriously THINK about the evidence, and what other ingredients would legitimately fit that flavor profile, whilst simultaneously matching the KFC "Vials" Photo Wink )

The other spice/herb "varieties" in the recipe are optional (till further proof comes our way), and were only chosen because they are among the absolute best quality, for each spice or herb, on earth.

Oh! How could I forget! Jamaican Ginger is also extremely important to the O.R, pre 1964, but if you can't source it, then use the regular variety for now. (Brodie would kick me butt if I'd left that note out Very Happy )

------

Regarding MSG, if you want Colonel Sanders O.R, and not the Corporation's, then I believe that no more than 1/4 tsp of it, per cup of flour is necessary (I will also bring forth later on very good evidence for this qty). If like me, you grew up with the KFC Corp of the 70's and 80's (which still provided very good fried chicken), then you'll be use to larger amounts of this food additive (i.e. 1/2 to 5/8 of a tsp per cup of flour)

Regarding salt, it is true that Colonel Sanders used the equivalent of 4.25 tsps per cup of flour, however, for most people these days, it is simply too much salt! (Think Marion Kay's Breading Flour...). So, I strongly recommend that folks use between 2.5 and 2.75 tsps of salt (pe cup of flour) instead Wink

Milk? Well, Colonel Sanders used regular full fat milk in the 50's I believe, however he began recommending low-fat varieties in the 60's...

Oil? Naturally, either Cottonseed Oil, or Corn Oil, as both these have always been used by KFC Corp... At least up until the 1980's they were Wink These days they use Soy based Oils...

-------------------------------------

As far as both TCK and Lumpy's Larder are concerned, what has been posted above IS the O.R of Colonel Sanders.

I am absolutely, 100 percent, convinced. There is not a shred of doubt in either my, or Lumpy's, mind.

Now, have at it!

-------------------------

P.S - I still luv ya Lumpy! Very Happy I also understand that your word is your bond, and that you didn't want to let OUR members down Wink

Thanks for being so kind as to cook up this fussy buggas' recipes all this time.

P.P.S As many folks are not use to working with ground vanilla beans, make sure that if you buy it pre-ground, that it is NOT the white powder (i.e. vanilla powder), but that it is purely ground whole vanilla pods... If you choose to grind your own, then grind the WHOLE bean, don't just scrape the seeds out, like you would with Cardamom pods; as the flavor of vanilla beans is throughout the entire pod, not just the seeds Wink

Last edited by The Colonel on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
letsparty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TC for that additional info .... But where can I get these critical ingredients as Ive had severe issues just getting savory or Vanilla beans over in kiwi land. I'll do some more research into avialibility and post back.
The Colonel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your dillemma mate... Look, try locally first; I managed to find Ancho Chile Pepper at a local U.S.A Import Store, I tracked Savory down at a small "health food shop", and Tahitian Vanilla came from the same store.

Call around and see what you come up with. The other alternative which shouldn't be a problem, as long as you can afford the postage, is to buy online Wink

Hope to hear from ya soon, LP

P.S ... hehe... if ya like, you can wait for my "official" post, wherein I intend to post modern-day KFC's O.R formula; hint: they use pretty straightup, bland and generic spices (including Cayenne instead of Ancho) <--- hehe... I'm joking! ... about you cooking that up... not about the Cayenne .. yes? .... no? .... Shocked

--- > Very Happy

letsparty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that ..... as For modern day KFC Im sure Bruce B lastest and even your old standard TC32 would both be a better bet.
I'd like to be a fly on the wall at KFC headquarters. but look at the bright side for them they need no longer spend all that money keeping the recipe "safe"

100 gram pack of Tahitian Vanilla Beans $30

70 gram pack of dried ancho chile $10

JM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumpy had all these ingredients and forget to specify it? Embarassed
Funny story,scuse me.

Anyway, thank you for these little details.

Lumpy , you have these ingredients at home?

everything has happened yet in PM,and invisible Wink
NO MORE SECRETS!! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kentucky Fried Chicken Forum Index -> OPERATION '11 HERBS & SPICES' - Breaking the O.R. Code... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: