Kentucky Fried Chicken Forum Index Kentucky Fried Chicken

The Colonel's Kitchen!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cottonseed Oil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kentucky Fried Chicken Forum Index -> Cooking Oil
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Ads

BeckinOz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been through a rough trot Mr Samurai. Hope all is going well for you.

I picked up a 4 ltr container of Rice Bran Oil ($12) a few weeks ago and last Friday, managed to get 4 litres of Corn Oil ($10.80) at the market.

All the chicken was dear and the quality was horrible, so for obvious reasons, I let it be.

Might get a couple of small chickens from Aldi over the weekend.

Also, I have used canola oil in my batches but I just don't like it. I use it for normal cooking though. It's cheaper than vegetable oil here half the time lol
The Chook Cook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes are so sore reading nearly everything on this forum, serious some stuff need to be deleted.

Moving right along and I have noticed a lot of people are using Cotton Seed Oil, kind of shocked me, because working with foods I am always been told to avoid it and some of the reasons are as follows:

Cottonseed Oil Side Effects

Cottonseed oil is inexpensive, so manufacturers frequently use it in foods. Cottonseed oil is rated as "mildly inflammatory" according to Nutrition Data. As a fat, it also can contribute to weight gain at nine calories per gram. Cottonseed oil can have other unwanted side effects.

Cholesterol
The author of "Eight Weeks to Optimum Health," Dr. Andrew Weil, advises that since cottonseed oil is high in saturated fat and low in monounsaturated fat, it raises the level of cholesterol in your blood. Your risk of stroke and heart disease rise when you have high blood cholesterol levels advise the experts at the American Heart Association.

Cancer Risk
Cottonseed oil frequently has high levels of pesticide residue. That's partly because cotton isn't technically classified as a food crop; thus, farmers can use numerous agrichemicals on cotton. In fact, more pesticides are used on cotton than on any other crop worldwide, accounting for up to one-third of all pesticide.

Natural Toxins
Cottonseed oil often contains natural toxins. One natural toxin in cottonseed oil is gossypol according to "Institutional Food Management," by Mohini Sethi. In people, gossypol inhibits sperm production as well as motility, but does not affect libido or [CENSORED] hormones according to Drugs.com. Because of this characteristic, it has been studied as a male contraceptive. Generally, however, commercial cottonseed oil undergoes processing to remove gossypol content, well so they tell us.

Omega 6
Cottonseed plant composition is high in Omega 6 content one of the reasons people in the developed world have such high numbers in obesity, heart disease, and other degenerative diseases.
roger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a blend of my own. Half grapeseed oil / half peanut oil. This blend has a very neutral taste and odor, so you can taste your product better. It has a very good stability and lasts longer than other oils. Good for french fries, chicken, anything fried.
smallgree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallow!

roger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to half peanut, half beef tallow. It's much better now.
smallgree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think McDonalds used something like 90 percent tallow, and 10 percent cottonseed oil. Their fries WERE the best.

The Colonel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallgree wrote:
I think McDonalds used something like 90 percent tallow, and 10 percent cottonseed oil. Their fries WERE the best.

Spot on SG... I remember the Maccas fries of the 80s and before. They were incredible. Then the "P.C" health squad jumped up and down, promoting the LIE that saturated fats cause heart disease, and the McDonalds Corp gave in, and swapped it out for a so-called "healthier" man-made, laboratory-created "vegetable" oil...

The irony is rich in this scenario... Tis all sad, but true.

TC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kentucky Fried Chicken Forum Index -> Cooking Oil All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: