Kentucky Fried Chicken Forum Index Kentucky Fried Chicken

The Colonel's Kitchen!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some correspondence with Marion Kay Spices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kentucky Fried Chicken Forum Index -> Marion Kay Spices - Research & Investigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Ads

buzzawak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Some correspondence with Marion Kay Spices Reply with quote

I emailed Marion Kay Spices and asked the following.

While I have you could you tell me if the 99-x mix has changed since its development back in 1965? I hope you don't get asked this question too often.

Reply from
Bobbi Morrison
Customer Service
Marion Kay Spices

Thank you for getting back with me. I did ask the President of the company about the 99-X. There isn't anyone still with the company that has the information on the original formulation and any changes that might have been made. So I can't honestly say how the formulation has changed over the years.
dprovo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz,

Nice to have you here at TCK, seems that you also have the fire to get down to the bottom of all this by your email to Marion Kay.

Correct me if im wrong, but I think Reid and Co took over the Marion Kay Spices in about 1986. Kentucky Friend Chicken from my memory was a better and a much spicier product compared to 99X that we can buy today. Even the old timers mention that while 99X sure taste familiar, that it is much watered down. I will even go as far and claim that 99X while adhering to the 11, have left other items out. So its not logical to conclude that Bill Summers authorized changes, it had to happen after his death.

Dustin

The Colonel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff buzz! What an interesting email...

I tell you what though; let Dusty and I join the MK R&D Team and we'll have that recipe back to where it was in no time flat.

I guarantee it. Wink

So nice, NICE TO FEEL, so good about a meal!

TC

flcolonel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: 99x Reply with quote

I spoke with a friend of mine in Jackson County, Indiana today (home of Marion Kay, The Pines, and James Sanders the Colonel's nephew who took over). The Colonel and James (who was a barber in town until he started playing the Colonel himself) used to go to his father's restaurant and have milkshakes.

The word is that 99x is the same, and he knows the guy who knows the formulation and said it hasn't changed.

Today I received my first bottle of 99x and must confess that it smells dead on KFC.

I must say on a side tangent though, that being from Jackson County, Indiana is a unique things! Home of the World's First moving train robbery, home of Barbasol, home of Col. Sanders recipe, home of many things that could make this side post go on and on and on.

But, I will say that I am more interested in using the spice in other ways, and will share in another post how I am doing so this weekend.
dprovo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcolonel,

I have heard the same thing myself.

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Dustin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kentucky Fried Chicken Forum Index -> Marion Kay Spices - Research & Investigation All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: